Monday, January 25, 2010

Darn Owls still evade me!

Again I went wondering into mosquito infested forest to try and catch a glimpse of the resident Powerful Owls in Blackbutt. Everyone I know has seen them and photographed them, but everytime I go they are nowhere to be seen. Today was one of those days for me again. The forest wasn't totally empty of bird life as I saw White-throated Treecreepers, Eastern Yellow Robin and Golden Whistler around the infamous Owl Trees. The Whistler was a year tick so with that going for me I headed for Newcastle Ocean Baths to find the Sooty Oystercatchers.


It was late morning by now and for some reason the heavy overcast sky decided to move away and Newie was blinded with very bright sunshine (not good for photos). At the baths were the usual suspects, Silver Gulls and Crested Terns with juveniles, a few Ruddy Turnstones and after a bit of a search I found Three Sooty Oystercatchers among the rocks at the Cowrie Hole.
They are very timid and it took a while of me sitting still for them to resume feeding and move close enough to warrant a photo.

1 comment:

  1. That Golden Whistler in classic whistler pose. That is one brilliantly coloured Eastern Yellow Robin!

    ReplyDelete