Friday, August 7, 2009

Morisset - Raptors and Parrots

Went out yesterday morning to see how the Osprey pair at Morisset were doing. Left home nearly two hours before sunrise as I wanted to be set up before the birds were active, and minimise disturbing them. I set up my hide in the paddock and shivered (it was 2.9 degrees) in the dark awaiting light and action.

The pair were up early too and had copulated twice before the sun was up then went fishing before I had even got a photo. Not a lot happened for a while so I went elsewhere looking for other birds while the Ospreys sorted themselves out. A few regular birds seen and also a couple of birds that I had no decent photos of. My new bird photos were the King Parrot and Long-billed Corella (who were busy preparing a nest hollow).

I returned to the Ospreys after about an hour to find the female in the nest and the male just arriving with a huge fish that was still fighting and keen not to be bird breakfast...no chance of winning that fight.
Got some cool photos thanks to the female missing a landing and having to do a lap of the paddock, flying right over my head to check me out. I left them to be after about 30 minutes and headed home.
About 5 minutes from home I saw a juvi White-bellied Sea-Eagle land in a tree in the local dam so I went through barbed wire and chest high grass to get some photos of him too.

All in all a great morning out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment