Saturday, August 1, 2009

Gerygone...finally!!!

Very early start today. In fact it was too early, as I was sitting in the carpark at Stockton Sandspit and it was still dark and starry. Once the light started to appear I headed for the main pond with my bag hide and set myself up to see what would turn up. Early birds were White-faced Heron, Little Egret and Great Egret. An unexpected visitor on the scene was a Swamp Harrier who proceeded to scare everything else away.
With nothing on the pond, I went for a walk to the beach side via the track along the mangroves. A few hundred Red-necked Avocets were roosting in the shallows along with Bar-tailed Godwits. Having seen what was happening on the beach I decided to try again for the little Mangrove Gerygones that have always denied me a clear photo. 20 mins later and I had 3 photos.


A pair of Juvi White-bellied Sea-eagles and a Whistling Kite were patroling the sandspit too and being a nuisance as they constantly disturbed the roosting birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment