Friday, July 31, 2009

Blackbutt and Newcastle Baths

Thanks to a fellow bird friend (Marj), I went off to discover a section of Blackbutt Reserve that I never knew existed. While I was there at a bad time for taking photos I did manage two new birds in the Golden Whistler and the Hardhead duck. Sulfur-crested Cockatoos were everywhere making there normal ruckus and whipbirds and bellbirds made their own noise (although much nicer to listen to). Still having an hour or so to play, I decided to head for Newcastle and the famous Ocean Baths to try for some flight shot practice with the Terns and Gulls. I found a mixed bunch of birds on the concrete on the far side of the baths, that were resting peacefully so I pulled up some concrete a few metres away and started snapping. Less than 3 minutes into my happy time, some peanut decided to ride his bike around the pool and of course right through the resting birds! They took to the air and moved away and while I tried to photograph their departure the cyclist stacked his bike on the slippery surface where the waves crash over the edge. A big thanks to Mother Nature for delivering such swift justice. :)

Another bonus for the day was a Peregrine Falcon in of all places, Mayfield. Sitting on a TV antenna of a house!

Birds seen today...
Magpie
Crow
Magpie Lark
Pelican
Sacred Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Laughing Kookaburra
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Eastern Rosella
Bell Minor
Native Minor
Australasian Grebe
Hardhead
European Starling
Pacific Black Duck
Australian Wood Duck
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Black Swan
Crimson Rosella
Eurasian Coot
Dusky Moorhen
Golden Whistler
Lewin'sHoneyeater
Spotted turtle-dove
Rainbow Lorikeet
Crested Pigeon
Silver Gull
Crested Tern
Little Pied Cormorant
Peregrine Falcon

No comments:

Post a Comment