Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Home and Stockton

Sorry for the slow update but my blog did not want to let me add anything new for a while.


Well after a disastrous Pelagic adventure (for me) where seasickness was the order of the day, I have managed a few reasonable outings and encounters at home. On the home front we have been invaded by Galahs. Each day we are getting up to 20 at a time calling in throughout the course of the day to feed. They allow me to get fairly close, within 3 metres, which has given me some good portrait opportunities.



There is at least one Peregrine Falcon living near my home....I think. On two occasions now I have seen a single Falcon hunting the Rainbow Lorikeets as they enter or leave their forest roosting areas. The highest point in town, a water tower, is only about 400m away and I have now started to monitor it for signs of the speedy visitor.



A couple of short outings to Stockton in search of White-browed scrubwren and Mangrove Gerygone have proved fruitless, photographically, but I have heard the scrubwrens and had fleeting glimpses of the Gerygones so I won't give up. Speaking of Stockton I saw a male Red-capped Plover there on Sunday. This is the first i've seen in a few months so maybe they are coming back from their winter getaway. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment