Saturday, June 27, 2009

A brief expedition

With an hour and a half spare I decided to head to the creek, up from Blackbutt Reserve, near Lambton. My plan was to go and see if I could find the Powerful Owls that live in the area. I visited a known roost tree but there was no sign of any Owls being there for some time. Since I couldn't let the opportunity to photograph go to waste I looked around a bit more.
Lots of Eastern Yellow Robins in the canopy but none were willing to come out for a photo. Several Grey fantails were seen but even they were timid. It was fairly dark in under the canopy so I headed for the main track where I saw, and poorly photographed, a couple of Eastern Spinebill. During this time I heard a Powerful Owl calling further down the track and set off quickly in search of it, however the calls stopped and I had no chance of finding it.
Did find a new bird today :-) A pair of Brown Cuckoo-Doves hiding up in the shadows of a tree. Many other birds seen including Lewin's Honeyeaters, Some mystery Honeyeaters way way up in the canopy, King Parrot and Sulphur-crested Cockatoo. Oh and I heard a mystery bird which I am guessing was a Raptor or an Owl as there was this fearsome screaching coming from across the creek.


Back at home we had 4 Red-rumped parrots and the usual Rosellas and pigeon at the feeder.

1 comment:

  1. Is the owl responsible for calls? Have you ever tried it? Guess they are not calling too often as it is winter there, right?

    Szimi

    ReplyDelete