Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bar-tailed Godwits and soggy pants

Hooray for the sun! The big burning light in the sky finally made an appearance this morning and while the wind was still pretty gusty, I headed out in search of birds to photograph.

I bypassed the sandspit and headed for Belmont lagoon. Not a lot of action out there unfortunately, but glimpses of Southern Emu-wren made the outing ok. On the way home I broke to the pressure of the Sandspit's calling and stopped in for a look.

The tide was out but there were still quite a few Godwits and Knots way out on the receeding tide line roosting and feeding. I got down onto the beach and walked out fairly close to the birds so I decided to get down and dirty to get closer still. My efforts were rewarded as the birds pretty well ignored my obvious presence but the down side was that I was soaked through and had also managed to cut my knee on some oyster shells.

When I was done with the waders I returned to the car and stripped down to underwear for the drive home (have to protect the new car upholstery). I rang the good wife and asked her t o open the garage door for me and also prayed that I wouldn't come across a Random Breath Test stop as i'm sure the police would have loved to see me in my jocks. :) Thankfully I made it home safe and a warm shower made it all better.

1 comment: