Saturday, November 20, 2010

Surveys and Baby birds

Hi devoted readers,

My name is Lucky and it's been a few weeks since my last blog entry :D

Today was the day for this month's wader survey here in the Hunter. With all my fellow counters unavailable (or away enjoying interstate bird watching), it was left to me to do a solo count. No waders were seen during the wader survey in my area, although I am yet to see a wader at our spot, I still ended up with 52 species for my 3 hours of stomping through 6 foot high reed beds, muddy tracks and soggy tidal flats. For a birding gumby like me I think that's pretty good work :)

Lots of Kangaroos around today too, which kept me on my toes as they would just pop up near me and do the bolt into the bush. Best species seen were Southern Emu-wren and Brahminy Kite (both poor photo ops though).

This afternoon saw me meet up with a member from HBOC who was going to show me a young Grey Goshawk in its nest. The location is hush hush because unfortunately poaching still occurs and I would hate to see the little guy/girl be taken from its nest by some money hungry thug.
The chick was great to watch as it jumped up and down exercising its wings and even found time to do a bit of nest keeping and rearrange some branches. All this hard work did eventually take its toll and the chick decided to have a nap after about 30 minutes and it disappeared from view. Still the sight of the chick more than made up for the harassment by several billion mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment