Friday, July 2, 2010

Boat Harbour

Went whale watching this morning off the rocks at Boat Harbour, near Anna Bay NSW. My wife and I were treated to a great show by the big mammals, but I got the added bonus of a new bird and some great views of Australasian Gannets and a huge White-bellied Sea-eagle with its prey.


The gannets were performing suicide dives into the water right next to the rock shelf! Not my idea of an easy meal. While searching for whales I noticed a small flock of birds following a little fishing boat. As they got closer I noticed a few brown backed birds among them and focused on them with both my binoculars and the camera. Some quick back and forth references to my bird book said that they were Fluttering Shearwaters. A new bird for me, so bird 251 and some WBSE pics more than made up for the cloudy sky and cold wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment