Saturday, July 10, 2010

Time with Terns

After a visit to the Wildlife Photographer Of The Year Exhibition, I ducked down to Newcastle Ocean Baths for a look and to photograph some feathered friends. Nothing of significance at the baths, just the usual Silver Gulls, Crested Terns and some Aust. Gannets just off the rocks.
Even though we see terns a lot, they are great birds to practice flight photography on and also provide some nice images as they transit back and forth from the ocean looking for food. I walked out onto the rock shelf and found myself a non pooped on piece of rock (wasn't many of those!) and started snapping.

Terns and gulls are also good subjects for those without long lenses as you can get quite close them.

I tried my darndest to get a photo of one shaking off the salt water while it was flying back to the rocks but they were either too far out when they did it, or my shots didn't get the result I was after.
My next western bird photography trip is currently in the planning stage and I hope to be heading out in September for the Lake Cargelligo area.

1 comment:

  1. Good terns! Wish I'd seen more blue sky when trying for same out Lucinda way.

    ReplyDelete