Saturday, May 21, 2011

WPOTY and Newcastle baths

The Wildlife Photographer Of The Year exhibition is on again at the Newcastle Library and once again I have dropped in to make myself yearn for some of the opportunities these other photographers get with wild animals. A few Australian photographers in the categories is a nice thing to see. This year, four aussies got noticed by the judges, although only one actually took his photo in Australia.
Before the library opened I decided to go to Newcastle Ocean Baths for some sunrise pics. Well that went as well as some of my recent birding attempts as the coast was blanketed in fog with a cold on shore wind. I tried to photograph the crazy surfers but no inspiring waves or particularly energetic surfers to point the lens at, had me looking at Silver Gulls and Crested Terns instead.
Early morning found the resident birds bathing and darting out to sea looking for breakfast, so a good time for some not quite static bird photos.
Those that know the Ocean Baths will know the far side of the pools can be slippery and I nearly went butt up a couple of times while grabbing the lens and pulling it close to avoid it hitting the concrete!

No comments:

Post a Comment