Friday, January 7, 2011

Wood Sandpipers

Once again the bird photographer unknowingly scoops the twitchers with an uncommon sighting. While patrolling Hexham Swamp on Tuesday morning I saw two waders which I initially thought were Sharp-tailed Sandpipers but as I looked more I thought something wasn't quite right about there appearance. This is where the camera comes in handy as I was able to snap some photos and review them with more detail when I got home.


My post outing review of my books had me certain they were Wood Sandpipers and after some e-mails to those more cleverer than I when it comes to birds it was confirmed that they were what I thought. Apparently sightings of this species in NSW aren't too common of late, so my sighting was significant to twitchers as well as being my first life tick for the year :)

1 comment: