Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Back at the Sandspit

Yes, I know I need to go somewhere different :)

Blue skies this morning made for a last minute decision to head out for some photos. Got to the sandspit about half an hour before sunrise and already the birds were dispersed around the lagoon so my chances of setting up early were pretty much zip.

Some people were nice enough to scare the roosting birds away so I tried to find something to photograph under the bridge. Surprisingly even the fairy-wrens were uncooperative today and after an hour I thought I may be heading home without a photo being taken. I decided for one last look along  the beach on the receding tide and found a group of about 20 Bar-tailed Godwits bathing on the waterline, so I sat down to watch.


After about 30 minutes my patience was rewarded as the birds started flying back over from the dykes to land on the beach right in front of me.


As well as a few hundred extra barwits I saw Black-tailed Godwits, Eastern Curlews, Curlew Sandpipers, Crested and Caspian Tern, Silver Gull, Pacific Golden Plover, Lesser Sand Plover, Pied Oystercatcher, White-faced Heron and of course Red-capped Plovers running around feeding, cleaning and eventually roosting.



With the birds gradually moving further out from the beach with the tide line I beat a retreat for the car and home happy that I had a little bit of photo processing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment